Effective January 1, 2023
Changes in continuing education regulations are coming for California dentists beginning Jan. 1, 2023, including mandated C.E. that covers the responsibilities and requirements of prescribing Schedule II opioid drugs. Dentists will be required to successfully complete 2 units of C.E. on opioid prescribing as a condition to renewing a license with the Dental Board of California.
IMPORTANT : This course satisfies the 2 CE unit requirement made effective by the Dental Board of California for license renewal effective January 1, 2023
Responsibilities and Requirements for Prescribing Controlled Substances (Schedule II Opioid Drugs)
Casey Grover, MD & Reb Close, MD
2 CE Unit (Core)
- Explore pain management drug options for acute pain control
- List how to register for, and utilize, CURES (Controlled Substance Utilization and Review and Evaluation System)
- Discuss red flag indicators of prescriptions issued for reasons other than a legitimate medical purpose
- How to manage acute and chronic pain in the dental setting.
- The risks and identification of opioid use disorder.
- The practices and legal requirements for opioid prescribing and dispensing.
Casey Grover, MD is Chair of the Division of Emergency Medicine at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. Dr. Grover was born at Community Hospital and is a life-long resident of Monterey County. He graduated from medical school at University of California, Los Angeles as one of the top three students in his class. Dr. Grover completed his residency at Stanford in Emergency Medicine and was chief resident. In addition to his current role as Division Chair, he is an attending physician in the Emergency Department, Vice Chief of Staff for the hospital, and serves as Physician Champion for the Monterey County Prescribe Safe Initiative.
Reb Close, MD is an Attending Emergency Physician at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, and the lead clinical physician for the Monterey County Prescribe Safe Initiative. She has been practicing emergency medicine at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula since 2003.
RSVP by Sep 4